Yes…the Oscars. Everybody might not be talking about it and others might be talking about it. This year they were on March 2nd, 2014. Since I live in the United States I was able to watch them from 7:00pm to 12 Midnight. In my opinion I LOVE watching the Oscars. Not only because of the fashion or because of the awards but because I am just fascinated by films and anything that has to do with cinematography and movies. If you are interested in what happened look down below!
Well this year the Oscars was hosted by Ellen Degeneres. She made it so FUN! And yes it was a bit informal but it had that bit of a fun side to it which means that next year Oscars will be so much more funny. And I really liked that she hosted it. She made them so much more fun.
The movie of the night was Gravity which won 7 Oscars including Best Director for Alfonso Cuaron. The first Latin American to ever win an Oscar in Directing. 12 Years A Slave won only 3 Oscars including Best Picture! That was a really great thing. Everything was right except that American Hustle and Wolf of Wallstreet won nothing. That was kind of a big surprise. Also The Great Gatsby won 2 Oscars and the movie Her won only 1. What surprised me the most was that Captain Phillips didn’t even win anything. That was such a great film that at least deserved some recognition. Well to not write much below are all the movies and awards. The ones that have the stars and are in bold are the winners. In bold are also some of my thoughts.
Some of the banners from some of the nominated movies:
- American Hustle
- Captain Philips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- 12 Years a Slave * Gravity won too much and 12 Years a Slave was AMAZING so it deserved this one.
- The Wolf of Wall Street
- Christian Bale (American Hustle)
- Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
- Leonardo Di Caprio (The Wolf of Wall Street) Poor Leo. AGAIN!
- Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
- Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) * It was surprising. I actually thought it was going to be Chiwetel for 12 years a Slave
- Amy Adams (American Hustle)
- Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) * Expected that. Bullock did awesome but Blanchett was the winner
- Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
- Judi Dench (Philomena)
- Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
- Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
- Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
- Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave) I thought it would be him but no.
- Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
- Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) That was surprising but they say he did amazing and from seeing the trailers it looked like he did do an amazing job. He was acting as a woman. He wasn’t a transgender, he was just playing the role of a woman.
- Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
- Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle) She already won an Oscar and is basically everywhere which can get annoying so I wasn’t that surprised when she didn’t win
- Lupita Nyong’o(12 Years a Slave) * I expected that. She WAS AMAZING.
- Julia Roberts(August: Osage County)
- June Squibb(Nebraska)
- The Croods (Chris Sanders, Kirk DeMicco, Kristine Belson)
- Despicable Me 2 (Chris Renaud, Pierre Coffin, Chris Meledandri)
- Ernest & Celestine (Benjamin Renner, Didier Brunner)
- Frozen (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, Peter Del Vecho) * That was expected. I can’t wait to see it
- The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki, Toshio Suzuki)
- The Grandmaster (Philippe Le Sourd)
- Gravity (Emmanuel Lubezki) * Obviously. This movie is just AMAZING
- Inside Llewyn Davies (Bruno Delbonnel)
- Nebraska (Phedon Papamichael)
- Prisoners (Roger A. Deakins)
- American Hustle (Michael Wilkinson)
- The Grandmaster (William Chang Suk Ping)
- The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin) * I expected that. i really loved that movie. Especially the costumes
- The Invisible Woman (Michael O’Connor)
- 12 Years a Slave (Patricia Norris)
- American Hustle (David O. Russell)
- Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón) * That was expected. He did an amazing job.
- Nebraska (Alexander Payne)
- 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen) I was also expecting him to win
- The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)
- The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, Signe Byrge Sørensen
- Cutie and the Boxer (Zachary Heinzerling, Lydia Dean Pilcher)
- Dirty Wars (Richard Rowley, Jeremy Scahill)
- The Square (Jehane Noujaim, Karim Amer)
- 20 Feet from Stardom (Nominees not determined) *
- CaveDigger(Jeffrey Karoff)
- Facing Fear (Jason Cohen)
- Karma Has No Walls (Sara Ishaq)
- The Lady in Number 6 : Music Saved My Life (Malcolm Clarke, Nicholas Reed) *
- Prison Terminal : The Last Days of Private Jack Hall (Edgar Barens)
- American Hustle (Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers, Alan Baumgarten)
- Captain Phillips (Christopher Rouse)
- Dallas Buyers Club (John Mac McMurphy, Martin Pensa)
- Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger) *
- 12 Years a Slave (Joe Walker)
- The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium)
- The Great Beauty (Italy) *
- The Hunt (Denmark)
- The Missing Picture (Cambodia)
- Omar (Palestine) I actually thought this film was going to win
- Dallas Buyers Club (Adruitha Lee, Robin Mathews) * I gotta give it to this one. The Make up and Hairstyiling was pretty AMAZING
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Stephen Prouty)
- The Lone Ranger (Joel Harlow, Gloria Pasqua-Casny)
- The Book Thief (John Williams)
- Gravity (Steven Price) *
- Her (William Butler, Owen Pallett)
- Philomena (Alexandre Desplat)
- Saving Mr. Banks (Thomas Newman)
- Happy (Despicable Me 2) I actually thought this one was going to win. I was disappointed when it didn’t.
- Let it Go (Frozen) * I did not like this song at all. But it won, which was expected
- The Moon Song (Her)
- Ordinary Love (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
- American Hustle (Judy Becker, Heather Loeffler)
- Gravity (Andy Nicholson, Rosie Goodwin, Joanne Woollard)
- The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin, Beverley Dunn) *
- Her (K.K. Barrett, Gene Serdena)
- 12 Years a Slave (Adam Stockhausen, Alice Baker)
- Feral (Daniel Sousa, Dan Golden)
- Get a Horse! (Lauren MacMullan, Dorothy McKim)
- Mr. Hublot (Laurent Witz, Alexandre Espigares) *
- Possessions (Shuhei Morita)
- Room on the Broom (Max Lang, Jan Lachauer)
- Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn’t Me) (Esteban Crespo)
- Avant Que de Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything) (Xavier Legrand, Alexandre Gavras)
- Helium (Anders Walter, Kim Magnusson) * Never seen any of these films. but this one looked like the best out of all of them.It won!
- Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?) (Selma Vilhunen, Kirsikka Saari)
- The Voorman Problem (Mark Gill, Baldwin Li)
- All is Lost (Steve Boeddeker, Richard Hymns)
- Captain Phillips (Oliver Tarney)
- Gravity (Glenn Freemantle) * Gravity was expected to win. It did have great sound.
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug(Brent Burge, Chris Ward) I actually thought the Hobbit was going to win. That was just an awesome movie.
- Lone Survivor (Wylie Stateman)
- Captain Phillips (Chris Burdon, Mark Taylor, Mike Prestwood Smith, Chris Munro)
- Gravity (Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, Chris Munro) *
- The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug (Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick, Tony Johnson)
- Inside Llewyn Davis (Skip Lievsay, Greg Orloff, Peter F. Kurland)
- Lone Survivor (Andy Koyama, Beau Borders, David Brownlow)
- Gravity (Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, Neil Corbould) *
- The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug (Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, Eric Reynolds)
- Iron Man 3 (Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash, Dan Sudick)
- The Lone Ranger (Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams, John Frazier)
- Star Trek Into Darkness (Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann, Burt Dalton)
- Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke)
- Captain Phillips (Billy Ray)
- Philomena (Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope)
- 12 Years a Slave (John Ridley) * This one was the one that had to win 🙂
- The Wolf of Wall Street (Terence Winter)
- American Hustle (Eric Warren Singer, David O. Russell)
- Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
- Dallas Buyers Club (Craig Borten, Melisa Wallack)
- Her (Spike Jonze) *
- Nebraska (Bob Nelson)
Other things that happened:
* Karen O. sang The Moon Song for the movie Her. Her voice was gorgeous.
* Pink sang “Over the Rainbow” in honor of the 1939 film: The Wizard of Oz in which Judy Garland’s children were at the Oscars. She did an amazing job.
*Lupita Nyong’o , Matthew McConaughey, and Steve McQueen gave amazing speeches.
* Indina Menzel sings Let it Go, from the animated Oscar winning movie Frozen. Let’s just say she was a bit nervous. In my opinion she opened her mouth to much and screamed a lot. I would have expected better from her.
*There was just fun in the Oscars and the fashion was amazing:
In conclusion the Oscars were pretty amazing. The fashion was the best out of all the years I have seen them and the victories were fair. If you watched them comment below your thoughts and let me know what you think.
Here are some other great Oscars related posts:
Oscars Post © The Reading Girl